The Tamale Teaching Hospital (TTH) is a Teaching hospital in Tamale in the Northern region of Ghana. It serves as a referral hospital for the 6 northern regions of Ghana. The main hospital in Northern Ghana, 2km southeast of town. It cooperates with the University for Development Studies in Northern Ghana to offer undergraduate and graduate programs in medicine, nursing and nutrition. It is the third teaching hospital in Ghana after the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital and the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital. Below are the departments and the services they provide, areas that might be serve very useful to health or medical volunteers.
INTENSE CARE UNIT SERVICES
Care for critically ill patients
Provide education on prevention and management of non-communicable diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, stroke etc.
- Provision of in-dept counseling and health education for renal clients and relations
- Dialysis – Management of renal clients, pre, intra and post dialysis
- Teaching and training of organized professionals both abroad and inland.
- Management of pain
- Rehabilitation of patients with neurological deficit such as Stroke,MS(Multiple sclerosis)
- Rehabilitation of patience with 4. Diabetes
- Rehabilitation of pediatrics with diabetes
- Management of overweight
Set up, Maintain and manage systems for collection, collation, analysis, interpretation and Dissemination of health information for the research, planning and management of health services in the facility.
NURSING ADMINISTRATION DEPARTMENT
- Coordinates the affairs of all nursing staff to management
- Responsible for day to day management of the wards and units of the hospital
- Scheduling, rotating and assigning of nurses to the various wards.
- Planning of leave and welfare of all nurses auxilians
ACCIDENTS AND EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT
Offer all services, medical, surgical, orthopedic, pediatric and obstetric and gynecological services. Attends to all types of emergences cases and OPD cases after close of OPD
Goals of this Project:
- Improve the future prospects of the people of Ghana
- Provide quality medical care to the impoverished people of Tamale and beyond
- To offer practical African medical experience to volunteers
- Enable inter-cultural exchange which benefits both locals and international volunteers alike.
How You Can Help
Volunteers will find this to be an extremely rewarding medical placement, working to their skill level. Qualified medical personnel may work directly with patients and perform emergency duties; they might work in surgery settings or patient support areas. Medical students, pre-med students and those considering a career in health care are certain to find the volunteer experience extremely helpful in solidifying their chosen careers.
Doctor shadowing is another possibility. Health or medical volunteers in Ghana with no medical training will be asked to help patients and visitors in waiting rooms, the pharmacy and the in-patient areas. These volunteers also perform a valuable role assisting staff with daily office tasks, which may include manning the phones, filing, running errands, carrying out reception duties and data inputting. Regardless of their role, volunteers will find they learn a huge amount about healthcare in an African nation setting and gain valuable medical and life experience.
Volunteers will contribute in several ways to this program and can expect to undertake the following tasks:
Assist with day-to-day medical care, as appropriate for experience and training
Assist with administration and running the facility
Network with program staff and medical staff